My name is Toddie Adams and I am the Director of Gifted Services for Marshall County School District. I oversee gifted services in our district K-12 and work with students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors, and principals to ensure students are properly identified as gifted and receive appropriate gifted service options for their unique needs. I strive to help students understand the nature of giftedness, model effective communication and collaboration skills, along with providing opportunities to practice critical and creative thinking skills. Our goal in gifted services is to support our students mentally, socially, emotionally, and academically, and to utilize deeper thinking skills that can be applied to the areas of giftedness.
I consult with teachers 6th - 8th grades at GT/RtI meetings to monitor student progress, help provide strategies for differentiated instruction, provide social and emotional support for students, and support teachers across the district. I facilitate the middle school GT Enrichment classes at NMMS and SMMS which are six-week courses that focus on critical and creative thinking and problem-solving. Students grow their skills through activities and are responsible for the quality of work they submit.
Beginning January 2023, I will be back in the Leadership class at MCHS as a co-teacher and facilitator. I consult with gifted students, teachers, and guidance counselors at MCHS by request.
I am a graduate of Murray State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Middle School Education (Math and Science) and a Master of Arts degree in Education with an endorsement in Gifted Education. I am graduate of Southern Illinois University Carbondale with a PhD in the field of Curriculum and Instruction. Some of my additional responsibilities include:
- President of the Kentucky Association for Gifted Education (KAGE) 2022-2023
- Past President of KAGE 2020-2021
- President of KAGE 2019-2020
- KAGE Board of Directors
- Member of the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
- Member of the NAGC Research and Evaluation Network
- Member of the NAGC Curriculum Studies Network
- Member of the World Council for Gifted and Talented Children (WCGTC)
- Member of the Marshall County Chapter of KAGE (MCKAGE)
- Chair/Facilitate West Kentucky Educational Cooperative GT Coordinator meetings
- Mentor new GT Coordinators/Teachers in Region 1
- Collaborate with KDE as Regional GT Cadre Leader
- GT/RtI Consultant
- Cognitive Coaching Facilitator
- Mother of three gifted children
- Grandmother of five precious grandchildren
- Member of Hardin Baptist Church
- Former instructor at Fundación Avanza – Ministerio de Educación (Spain)
- Served by appointment of the Governor on the Kentucky State Gifted Advisory Council
- Served by appointment of the Commissioner of Education on the Commissioner's Accountability Steering Committee
I love to fellowship with my family and friends!!!!