MCHS is located on a 130 acre campus between Hwy 68 and 641 near Draffenville, KY
In the Beginning. . .
Marshall County High School was formed from the consolidation of Benton, North Marshall and South Marshall High Schools and began operations in 1974. At that time the campus included the main two story High School building, The Technical Center, the physical plant/Ag building and the green house. The school housed the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades and opened with an enrollment of 1146 students. The first class graduated from MCHS in the spring of 1975.
And we've been growing and growing . . .
To say that our school is a dynamic, changing and growing place is a bit of an understatement. The timeline below lists some of our more notable building projects:
- 1977 Football Field and visitors bleachers (then home bleachers)
- 1978 Football Home Stands and dressing facility
- opened in 1980 Reed Condor Memorial gymnasium and physical education facilities
- 1984 1st phase of music fine arts w/band room
- 1988 1st Classroom Addition (end of east wing, 9th grade moved to MCHS)
- 1992 Original Soccer Field
- 1993/1994 2nd Classroom Addition (freshman wing)
- 1994 Additional Football dressing
- 1997 Kenneth Shadowen Performing Arts Center
- 1997 Aux. Gym Addition
- 1997 Additional Football Dressing
- 1997 New Soccer Field
Our Maintenence Supervisor recently reported that the current gross square footage of MCHS facilities is 233,900
OH! The places we will go. . .
MCHS is continuing to update. Over the summer we will be replacing several computers and beginning a phase of re-modeling and painting our facilities.
It's not all about buildings either. We are constantly seeking to improve the quality and quantity of our course offerings and the teachers and staff that serve the students. We are continually striving to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners.